NJ Temporary Disability & Family Leave Insurance Updates
The New Jersey Senate & Assembly recently passed legislation that dramatically changes New Jersey's Temporary Disability Benefits (TBD) and Family Leave Insurance (FLI).
Changes Occurring This Year
These changes will make it easier to replace State Fund cases with private carriers.
- Removal of 51% employee signature consent requirement when moving to private plan.
- Electronic employer and employee signatures allowed (currently has to be original, wet signatures).
Changes to Take Effective July 1, 2020
- Benefit from 2/3 to 85% of avg weekly wages.
- Max benefit from 53% ($650) to 70% of state average weekly wage (about $860).
- Partial disability benefits will be payable.
- Max benefit period from 6 to 12 weeks.
- Intermittent from 42 to 56 days.
- Expands family member eligibility.
- 7 day Elimination period eliminated.
Additional articles from the March 2019 edition of the Univest Employee Benefits Newsletter:
Thank you for your submission.