CDC Provides Guidance on Consent Elements and Disclosures for Workplace COVID-19 Testing
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued guidance on the elements of consent and disclosures necessary to support employee decision-making when employers incorporate workplace COVID-19 testing.
Differences in position and authority (such as workplace hierarchies), as well as employment status in nonstandard working arrangements (e.g., temporary help, contract help or part-time employment) can affect an employee’s ability to make free decisions. This guidance suggests measures employers can take when developing a testing program.
To fully support employee decision-making and consent, these measures should include:
- Safeguarding employees’ privacy and confidentiality;
- Providing information that is complete and understandable on how the employer’s testing program may impact employees’ lives;
- Explaining any parts of the testing program an employee would consider important when deciding to participate;
- Providing information about the testing program in the employee’s preferred language using nontechnical terms;
- Encouraging supervisors and co-workers to avoid pressuring employees to participate in the testing; and
- Encouraging and answering questions during the consent process.
Employers should follow these measures to create a supportive environment when employees need to make decisions about workplace-based testing.
Additional articles from the March 2021 edition of the Univest Employee Benefits Newsletter:
- Guidance Issued on Outbreak Period
- Understanding Prescription Drug Pricing Trends
- How HR Can Support Working Parents
- Managing the Excuse-Makers
- 5 Tips to Navigate Employee Benefits in the Post-Pandemic Environment
Thank you for your submission.
Insurance products are offered through Univest Insurance, LLC. and are obligations of the issuing insurance companies, are not obligations or deposits of or guaranteed by any bank and are not insured by the FDIC or any other agency of the United States. The purchase of insurance products are not a condition to any bank loan, product or service. Univest Insurance, LLC. is a licensed subsidiary of Univest Financial Corporation.