Mistakes happen and we can provide you with peace of mind in those instances. Univest provides the convenience of an overdraft protection service for personal checking account customers. We currently cover the following transactions even if you do not have sufficient funds in your account: 1
- Automatic bill payments
- Online banking payments and transfers
- Recurring debit card transactions
The overdraft protection service can also cover ATM and everyday debit card transactions. If you are a Univest customer and would like ATM and debit card purchases to be covered by our overdraft protection service simply notify us and indicate you would like to be opted in. Otherwise you are opted out and we cannot cover these types of transactions for you. There is no right or wrong choice. You should choose what best suits your individual financial needs.
There are three easy ways to opt in:
- Online: Click here to opt in using our convenient online form
- By Phone: Call us at 877.723.5571
- In Person: Find a nearby Univest Financial Center
If you opt in:
- We may cover your ATM and everyday debit card transactions even if your account balance is insufficient.
- We may also provide access to funds in advance of a deposit becoming available later the same business day.
- Opting in could save you the embarrassment of having your debit card declined.
- You will only pay a fee if we approve a transaction that overdraws your account.
If you opt out:
- You do NOT want us to cover your everyday debit card and ATM transactions when there are insufficient funds in your account.
- You will not be charged any overdraft fees for ATM and debit card transactions and your transaction will be declined if your balance is insufficient.
- Checks, automatic bill payments, online banking payments and recurring debit card transactions may continue to be covered at our discretion regardless of your account balance. Standard fees still apply.
There are fees associated with the overdraft protection service if we approve a transaction that overdraws your account. The fees are as follows:
- We will charge you a fee of $35.00 each time we pay an overdraft.
- There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
For more information, stop by any Univest Financial Center or call 1.877.723.5571.
1 ATM and debit card transactions are not covered under the standard overdraft protection service and will only be covered if you opt in to this additional coverage. By opting in, you authorize Univest to include coverage of ATM and everyday debit card transactions when there are insufficient funds in your account. You may opt out of this service at any time by contacting your local Univest Financial Center. By opting out, you can still overdraw your account and incur fees through checks, automatic bill payments, online banking payments and recurring debit card transactions. Overdraft fees include a $35 fee for each returned or paid item that overdraws your account. Univest does not guarantee the payment of any item or transaction. The courtesy overdraft limit can be removed at the banks discretion. After 15 consecutive calendar days with a negative balance a notification will be sent to the customer requesting payment and will recommend they contact the bank to discuss and set up a payment plan. If after 30 consecutive calendar days the account has not been brought to a positive balance the customer will be notified that the account will be closed in 10 calendar days.